Special notifications handling in Nagios

Joe Rhett jrhett at isite.net
Thu Mar 25 11:20:48 CET 2004

I really don't see any problem with most of this.  All you need to do is
set up the proper intersection of notification times for the hosts and
the contacts. The only gotcha is ...

>   at 1:00, then 'up state' notification will be sent at 7:00

Uh.. nobody (no process) is going to hang around for 6 hours and wait to
send you a notification.  Really.  Notifications are either sent or not
at the time they are conceived :-(

Now you can tune this using the notification options so that you don't
get the notifications at night, but you get them in e-mail so that you
can review them in the morning, but they didn't interrupt your sleep.
All sorts of flexibility here.

On Wed, Mar 24, 2004 at 11:23:27AM +0100, Petr Simek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I want ask if is possible to configure contact with some special features
> in nagios. I want send notifications according this schema :
>
> - notifications are sent only between 7:00-23:00
> - first notification is sent 15mins after down state unless connection
>   to the service or host isn`t restored in 15mins after down state.
> - second notification is sent immediately when service or host goes
>   to up state.
> - if 'down state' notification was sent at 22:00 and service goes up
>   at 1:00, then 'up state' notification will be sent at 7:00
> - if service goes down at 2:00, then 'down state' will be sent at 7:00
> - if service goes down at 2:00 and goes up at 5:00 no notifications
>   will be sent.
>
> I had no idea how to configure conditioned delay for 'down state'
> notifications. When I define hours for contact when notifications can
> be sent, then I loose messages sent in the denied hours.
>
> It is possible to achieve this requirements natively in Nagios without
> special external email filter ?

Joe Rhett                                                      Chief Geek
JRhett at Isite.Net                                      Isite Services, Inc.