vmstat - custom plugin

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Tue Mar 23 08:08:22 CET 2004

hey guys,

I wrote my own plugin for checking a solaris machine's user, system and idle
cpu utilization.

If I execute this line in console:
VALUE=`/usr/bin/ssh -l $USER $HOSTADDR vmstat 3 2 | awk 'NR > 3'`

then i echo $VALUE, I am able to see vmstat results. Of course $USER and
$HOSTADDR is set with the user and ip address of the remote ssh server.

But my script below doesn't work. I get an empty $VALUE.

I have already done this inside my script:
echo HOST=$1 TIME=$2 WARN=$3 CRIT=$4 USER=$5 HOSTADDR=$6 >> /tmp/debug.log

then I do a tail -f /tmp/debug.log and YES, all the variables are populated
properly.

Any ideas?

One more, there is no way I can install nagios-statd :(

Thanks in advance.

 ---------------------code-starts-here--------------
#!/bin/sh

#Read arguments from the command-line
HOST=$1
TIME=$2
WARN=$3
CRIT=$4
USER=$5
HOSTADDR=$6

RETVAL=0
RETSTR=""

ERR=0

               VALUE=`/usr/bin/ssh -l $USER $HOSTADDR vmstat 3 2 | awk 'NR >
3'`
               RESULT=$?
               RETSTR="vmstat 3sec interval results: $VALUE"
               echo $RETSTR >> /tmp/datalog

               toRRDdbuser=`echo $VALUE|awk '{print $20}'`
               toRRDdbsystem=`echo $VALUE|awk '{print $21}'`
               toRRDdbidle=`echo $VALUE|awk '{print $22}'`
               CPU_idle=`echo $VALUE|awk '{print $22}'`

               if [ $RESULT -gt 0 ]; then
                       RETVAL=3
                       RETSTR="Socket Error"
                       ERR=1
                       break
               fi
               if [ $CPU_idle -le $CRIT ]; then
                       RETVAL=2
               elif [ $CPU_idle -le $WARN ] && [ $RETVAL != 2 ]; then
                       RETVAL=1
               fi

/usr/local/bin/rrdtool update /usr/local/nagios/rrd/unixsystem_on_$HOST.rrd
$TIME:$toRRDdbuser:$toRRDdbsystem:$toRRDdbidle

echo $RETSTR
exit $RETVAL