Another Windows Monitoring Option (Event Log)

Duncan Robertson duncan.robertson at vsl.com.au
Tue Mar 23 04:27:22 CET 2004

Hi,

I have just joined the list to keep up with nagios config ideas. keep up
the good work!

anyway, whilst looking around for ways to monitor Event Viewer stuff on
windows 2000 I found this handy service:

https://engineering.purdue.edu/ECN/Resources/Documents/UNIX/evtsys

An excellent, simple EventViewer-->syslog converter that works very well
with the syslog-ng running on our nagios machine - with this and
"check_log" stuff in the Event Viewer should be monitorable (I am still
logging enough raw logs to collect the "alarm" strings we need).

>From reading the archives I can see others have offered snmp based
solutions, but I thought I'd just add another idea I haven't seen
mentioned. This is also handy for aggregating the logs of windows
machines anyway.

--

Duncan Robertson
System Administrator
email: duncan.robertson at vsl.com.au
IMPORTANT - This e.mail and any attachments may be confidential. Any
retransmissions, dissemination or other use of these materials by
persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If
opening or using attachments, check them for viruses and defects. Our
liability is limited to resupplying any affected attachments. [Any
representations or opinions expressed in this e.mail are those of the
individual sender, and not necessarily those of Vision Systems Limited].