check_dns problems

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Mon Mar 22 20:54:14 CET 2004

Hello,

I've used the check_dns plugin for quite awhile now at another job, and it worked flawlessly. When I got to my current job, I threw up Nagios and lo and behold, the first two services I put in to showcase the system were DNS and are showing red nearly all the time. Whoops!

I'm using check_dns on two freeBSD servers. Check_dns is reporting an effective downtime of 99% (the few times I get a recovery notice, I also get a failure notice within 5-10 minutes). At the same time, our entire office uses these two DNS servers exclusively, as well as all our clients, and no-one reports any DNS problems.

This has been going on for nearly a month now. I can't explain it at all. Using check_dns from the command line rapidly (up arrow, enter, up arrow, enter, etc.) gives me *maybe* a 2 in 10 failure rate. Doing nslookup's to the same servers gives possibly a 1/100 failure, altho some queries take more than the 10 seconds that the plugin times out in. At the same time, constant pings between the nagios and DNS servers work 100%. I have this problem with BOTH dns servers.

Setup is...

Nagios:
Nagios v1.2
check_dns (nagios-plugins 1.3.1) 1.8.2.3
Red Hat v8.0
Apache 2.0.4

DNS Servers:
FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p3