NRPE Problems

Mark Campbell mark at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed Mar 17 21:30:49 CET 2004

Hey Guys,

	First off great work on Nagios, top notch work.

	I'm having a slight problem though.  I'm developing a few inhouse
monitoring scripts to keep the bean counters happy :)  They're going fine
expect for this one which is giving me a strange error.

./check_nrpe -H hungary -c check_oracle_net ; echo $?
NRPE: Unable to read output
3

I'm able to runother scripts remotely on the same machine....

./check_nrpe -H hungary -c oracle_inst_up ; echo $?
Oracle CRITICAL: Oracle instance testiset is not available.
2

And I'm able to run the script fine on the local machine:
./check_oracle_net ; echo $?
Oracle OK.
0

This is the source to the ksh script I'm using... any ideas are appricated..

-[code]-
#!/bin/ksh
#
# Verify if all oracle instances are up - tnsnames.ora entries should be
# uniform

cat /etc/nagiosoracheck | while read LINE ; do
        case $LINE in
                \#*)            ;;      #comment-line in oratab
                *)
                        #       Proceed only if third field is 'Y'.
                        if [ "`echo $LINE | awk -F: '{print $3}' -`" = "Y" ] ;
then
                                ORACLE_SID=`echo $LINE | awk -F: '{print $1}' -`
                                if [ "$ORACLE_SID" = '*' ] ; then
                                        ORACLE_SID=""
                                fi
                                ORACLE_HOME=`echo $LINE | awk -F: '{print $2}' -`
                                TNS_DIR=$ORACLE_HOME/network/admin/$ORACLE_SID'_'`hostname`

                                . $ORACLE_HOME/$ORACLE_SID'_'`hostname`.env

                                # Read file and test all entries...
                                grep -v -e '^ ' -e'^\t' -e'^$' -e '^#' -e'^)'
${TNS_DIR}/tnsnames.ora | awk '{sub("=", "", $1); print $1}' | grep -v 'IFILE' |
                                while read NAME ; do
                                        devnull=`${ORACLE_HOME}/bin/tnsping
$NAME`
                                        if [ "${?}" = "1" ]; then
                                                echo "Oracle CRITICAL: Unable to ping ${NAME}."
                                                return 2
                                        fi
                                done
                        fi