Nagios 1.0 bug?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Fri Mar 12 20:23:24 CET 2004

On Friday, March 12, 2004 11:39 AM, Porus Lakdawala shared with us:

> Hi,
>
> I have Nagios 1.0 running on an SGI IRIX system.
>
> The total number of hosts monitored is 360 and the total number of
> services monitored is 2330.
>
> Recently I tried adding more services to be monitored. As soon as I
> do that a number of errors appear for servers that were already
> there. The error message read "no services for this host". The Nagios
> daemon seems to start up. The CGIs show the error.
>
> I thought initially that this might be something to do with the
> config file.
> However the -v option shows no errors or warnings. And I have brought
> the config files to a state in which if I add a hostgroup with 10
> more servers to an existing service, it breaks. I remove the
> hostgroup and life is good.
>
> Is there an inherent limit on the number of services that can be
> monitored?
> Or is there a known bug which causes this limit? I could not find
> anything in the docs or on searching the mailing list.

There is a limit on the maximum number of characters a line can be in
the config files. The default is 8192 I believe. Could you be exceeding
that? What does your host/service definition look like that's causing
you problems?

--
Marc