Distributed JOY (was Woes) - Passive Check Results now being submitted to Master from four slaves

AJ McKee aj.mckee at nmtbmedia.com
Fri Mar 12 02:21:31 CET 2004

>If you recently enabled the 'obsess_over_services' option and you've
>been using state retention, Nagios may still be using the old value
>('0') instead of the one you entered in the config file.  To fix
>this, change the 'use_retained_program_state' variable in nagios.cfg
>to 0 and restart Nagios.

Joy, knew it was something silly I had done and left out. I now have
four distributed hosts and one master (will need to put in another
master for redundancy). Basically I have a bit of a weird setup that I
expect will cause problems.

The four slaves are split up. Two are on 2dedicated DSL lines provided
by two separate ISP's (Dedicated as in no other traffic goes over them
apart from Nagios generated) and the other two are in
geographically/provider diffent data centers. The master is in another
data centre. All four of the distributed hosts check the same services
on the same hosts and report back to the Master server. I was worried,
that perhaps I would get flapping alerts or something, but the longer I
leave it to run the more it seems to iron itself out. However there is
no way to weigh the result in from each distibuted server AFAICS.
Initally alerts took up to a min to be detected by the Master server,
however this has decreased to a few moments with SMS alerts taking about
a min to arive. BTW I use a weel small perl script that generates an
email and sens it to Clickatell where I purchases about 2000 sms's for
about 88 Euro. Means no messing around with sms_client or anything like
that, plus I get to change who the message comes from.

Anyone got and ideas on how I could improve my setup? Or is it overkill?

Cheers
AJ