Template shortcut problem?

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Mar 11 21:35:11 CET 2004

Hi all! I'm starting to play around with 2.0a and I have it working so
now I'm looking at doing some things with template-magic that I probably
should have done a long time ago. Unfortunately I'm doing something
wrong and could use another pair of eyes. I basically have about 1600
hosts that I'm looking at for this that are split up into 138 hostgroups
with most hosts being in two different hostgroups. I'm trying to use
template magic to eliminate having to specify each as an argument to the
hostgroup 'members' directive by using the 'hostgroups' directive in the
host definition and to simplify my configs like so --

# Host definition
define host {
        use                     generic-host
        host_name               <HOSTNAME REMOVED>
        alias                   Alcoa Elementary/LEA
        address                 <IP ADDRESS REMOVED>
        hostgroups              all-east-tn,tnops-alcoa-tn
        }

And the corresponding hostgroup definitions look like so --

define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name  tnops-alcoa-tn
        alias           Alcoa Tennessee
}

define hostgroup {
        hostgroup_name  all-east-tn
        alias           All East Tennessee
}

Unfortnately pre-flight crashes and burns before take off --

Running pre-flight check on configuration data...

Checking services...
        Checked 2307 services.
Checking hosts...
        Checked 1626 hosts.
Checking host groups...
Error: Host 'all-east-tn' specified in host group 'all-east-tn' is not
defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'all-middle-tn' specified in host group 'all-middle-tn' is
not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'all-west-tn' specified in host group 'all-west-tn' is not
defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'tnops-alamo-tn' specified in host group 'tnops-alamo-tn' is
not defined anywhere!
Error: Host 'tnops-alcoa-tn' specified in host group 'tnops-alcoa-tn' is
not defined anywhere!
... *****[137 total bad 'hosts']*****
        Checked 138 host groups.
Checking service groups...
        Checked 0 service groups.
Checking contacts...
        Checked 1 contacts.
Checking contact groups...
        Checked 1 contact groups.
Checking service escalations...
        Checked 0 service escalations.
Checking service dependencies...
        Checked 0 service dependencies.
Checking host escalations...
        Checked 0 host escalations.
Checking host dependencies...
        Checked 0 host dependencies.
Checking commands...
        Checked 100 commands.
Checking time periods...
        Checked 4 time periods.
Checking extended host info definitions...
        Checked 0 extended host info definitions.
Checking extended service info definitions...
        Checked 0 extended service info definitions.
Checking for circular paths between hosts...
Checking for circular host and service dependencies...
Checking global event handlers...
Checking obsessive compulsive processor commands...
Checking misc settings...

Total Warnings: 0
Total Errors:   137

What's getting me is that the hosts that it's complaining about are only
used as hostgroup names --

-bash-2.05b$ grep tnops-alcoa-tn *
tnops-east.cfg: hostgroups              all-east-tn,tnops-alcoa-tn
tnops-east.cfg: hostgroups              all-east-tn,tnops-alcoa-tn
tnops-east.cfg: hostgroups              all-east-tn,tnops-alcoa-tn
tnops-lea-tn.cfg:       hostgroup_name  tnops-alcoa-tn

You'll also notice that 137 out of 138 hostgroups errored out. The
single one that didn't does not have any hosts associated with it --

-bash-2.05b$ grep tnops-biz-tn *
tnops-lea-tn.cfg:       hostgroup_name  tnops-biz-tn

I thought it might be a wildcard issue (I do have use_regexp_matching=1)
but disabling regexp matching doesn't have any effect. I know there's
probably something obvious I'm missing but I can't seem to see it. The
documentation is a bit unclear right now and I suspect it just hasn't
been updated yet. The docs for hostgroup definitions state that the
members directive is required while the docs for host definitions state
that the hostgroups directive can be used in place of or in addition to
the hostgroup members directive.

Thanks!

--
Marc