[Nagios-devel] Large scale network monitoring limits with nagios

Andre Bergei andre.bergei at ementor.no
Thu Mar 11 16:18:27 CET 2004

>I tested a little by creating a very simple set of nagios
> configs, but with about 8000 PASSIVE service checks and no active
> service checks. of course there was no problem in terms of scheduling
> issues, but the CGIs all crawled to a snails pace. In my
> setup (nagios
> 1.2, Dual G4 first-gen xServe) it takes about 30 secs to display the
> Status Summary page.

Our Dual Xeon 2.8 Ghz central handels around 7000 passive checks (from
nsca), and the service detail and
host detail views are useless if we call the status.cgi with the
"group=any" flag.

 The data crunching takes about 12 seconds on the server side, not to
bad, but to display the data takes a long time, because the client side
rendering of the html is CPU intensive. My mozilla process locks the cpu
at 99% during the rendering process.

 So we parse the config files and present links to each customer group,
to avoid large html dumps, so for now 7000 checks is ok in the web
interface.

 We plan to scale up to 30.000 service checks (snmp), so we need to
optimize performance of the cgi's, maybe write our own cgi's, but we
want do avoid that, we want to try some tricks first.

 Our central will get very busy processing passive service checks, so we
will migrate
The web server to a beefy standalone web server, so the cpu intensive
cgi's dont mess up with the processing of the service checks, and to
have dedicated cpu's for CGI data crunching.

 When we compiled the cgi's with optimized flags, we got 23% performance
increase, pretty good, so it will be interesing to see if we get any
performace increase with a Gentoo server setup from stage1, and the 2.6
kernel, maybe another 10% increase..

  In the end, no matter what we do with hardware, or optimized settings,
30k service checks
Will result in a slow web interface, but maybe still usable, we'll see.

 How are the performance of the Nagios 2.0 cgi's, any singificant
improvement?