Discrete I/O monitoring suggestion

Rob Enders renders at cknxradio.com
Thu Mar 11 15:46:15 CET 2004

Hi all.. I have been using Netsaint for several years to monitor various
systems within our radio station including audio silence sensors, fire
alarm, etc. This system is running on fairly low end hardware, Redhat 6 and
uses the button contacts on two game ports. Works fine but can only handle 8
inputs, and is getting old..

I am planning to rebuild using Nagios running on Sentinix, a recent LFS
implementation that includes Nagios, Nagat, Snort, Cacti and lots of other
very useful tools. I have been experimenting with a low cost DAC card called
the Velleman K8000 and some software called KEL. The card includes 16
discrete assignable i/o, 8 8bit outputs, 1 16bit output and 4 16bit inputs.
The software is a compiled script that offers unlimited flexibity for
automation monitoring and control.. It even includes a tcpip interface for
polling and control.. More info can be found at these locations,
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/2oo2/k8housealarm/, http://www.velleman.be/

Any thoughts, comments and suggestions are welcome..

Rob