1.2: Memory Leak? Something?

Daniel Henninger daniel at unity.ncsu.edu
Wed Mar 10 01:43:15 CET 2004

> If you are hupping and there are a lot of changes in the host/service def
> you may want to disable saving service state.  Maintaining state across
> hups means nagios kkeps your old config info and adds the new stuff from
> the files...

Often it's an add instead of a subtract, so we don't tend to run into
problems with this.  If we didn't retain state information, our whole
1000-some odd tests would go "unknown", would they not?  That would be
horribly frightening to many of the folk we have observing Nagios data.
(we don't tend to have people looking at the tactical overview, but
instead write quite a few custom interfaces)

> >Froma prod standpoint generating new configs every 15min seem like over
> kill - once a day might be better.

Not for us it isn't.  ;)  Besides, it doesn't "bother" nagios unless there
are real changes.

It was suggested to me that APAN might be my culprit.  After some
research, the problems did also coincide with around when I first started
using APAN.  It seems to have something to do with our kernel version and
APAN, so I doubt it's really APAN's fault, but still.  The two did
coincide.  We don't "need" the APAN information, so we've chosen to stop
using it.  Observing in the meantime to see if it truly helps to disable
it.

Thanks!  =)

Daniel

--