1.2: Memory Leak? Something?

Subhendu Ghosh sghosh at sghosh.org
Wed Mar 10 01:13:04 CET 2004

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004, Daniel Henninger wrote:

> Folk,
>
> Ever since moving from Solaris to Linux for our Nagios servers, I've
> noticed Nagios gradually taking up what seems like more and more memory
> as it runs, to a point where it eventually shoots itself in the head.
> (sort of.. it appears to "get confused" at some point)  We have two
> redundant Nagios servers that failover via Heartbeat if one dies.  Often,
> the manifestation of the memory run-out is is that heartbeat isn't able to
> fire off it's "are you there?" to the other host, and so it turns control
> over to the other server.  This is good because no one notices Nagios
> upset, but I'd still like to find out what's causing it to continuously
> grow in size.  We have a potentially odd configuration that may have
> something to do with it.  Basically, I have a mysql database with all of
> the information about our servers.  (servers are organized by a "class",
> and the class determines what checks occur via Nagios for that server)
> Anyway, this db is probed every 15 minutes for changes, and the nagios
> config files are re-generated.  If there are differences, nagios is hup'd
> to reread it's config.  Due to the number of servers we have, the
> frequency in which people add or remove servers, etc, I would say that
> quite a lot of hup-ing occurs.  I am pointing this out because I suspect
> that has something to do with our problems.  Perhaps the rereads are
> leaking memory somewhere?  Anyway, I'm not sure what else to say about it
> at the moment, so if I can provide further information, please let me
> know.  I haven't done real graphs or anything of the memory drainage, I'm
> just going by my own observations.  If I need real data, I can certainly
> begin gathering it.  Anyone else observed this behavior?  Thanks!
>
> Daniel

If you are hupping and there are a lot of changes in the host/service def
you may want to disable saving service state.  Maintaining state across
hups means nagios kkeps your old config info and adds the new stuff from
the files...

Froma prod standpoint generating new configs every 15min seem like over
kill - once a day might be better.

--
-sg