check_* -w and -c switches

Jason Lixfeld jason+lists.nagios at lixfeld.ca
Fri Mar 5 07:08:38 CET 2004

On Mar 4, 2004, at 6:18 PM, Paul L. Allen wrote:

> Take a look at the plugin developers' guidelines.  There's a section
> on specifying ranges which give a minimum and/or maximum value that
> will do what you want.  Not all plugins support that syntax.  Most of
> the ones that do support the syntax don't explain it to you.
> Check_procs
> does support it, and I use it to check that 1 instance of a process is
> running, or that a minimum of x processes are running (we have fax
> servers where I need to know that 1 copy of hfaxd is running and two
> copies of faxgetty are running).
> Maybe the details ought to be in the FAQ, but since many plugins don't
> support the range syntax, that might be a bad idea.  It would probably
> be
> better if the plugins that did support ranges explained them in more
> detail.

Thanks for the tip.  One thing I don't understand though:

	4.  	ranges are expressed with colons as in `check_procs -C  httpd -w
1:20 -c 1:30` which will warn above 20 instances,  and critical at 0
and above 30

There is no explicit documentation on what these values mean so how do
you get critical at 0 and above 30 out of -c 1:30?  It works, I've
tried it but I don't understand they logic behind the syntax.  Is this
how it works?

-w A:B		OK between A-B instances, CRITICAL above B instances
-c Y:Z			CRITICAL below Y instances, CRITICAL above Z instances

??