Database Support - with historical data

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Mar 4 13:39:23 CET 2004

Dhawal Doshy <mailto:dhawal at netmagicsolutions.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I notice that nagios compiled with mysql support stores only the
> latest value of host / service status in the servicestatus /
> hoststatus tables?
> Is there a way to change this behavior, i'd like to retain the data
> as samples for historical reports etc..

Not from within Nagios directly. We use Postgres and have created a
trigger that copies the data to a history table on update or insert into
servicestatus (all we care about for historical purposes is service
status, not host status). I don't believe mysql supports triggers but
perhaps there is something that is functionally equivalent?

> I have seen the retention data table but wasn't able to make much
> sense out of it.

That's used when you shut down Nagios so it can remember the status host
hosts and services when it restarts (assuming you have configured Nagios
to do so).

--
Marc