link utilization check [was: Any idea..for this script problem.]

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Tue Mar 2 18:36:27 CET 2004

Yiannis Zimianitis wrote:
> Is this a nagios question?
> Can Nagios monitor the utilization of a link on a cisco router? Has
> anyone done this?

Yes, that is a Nagios question. However, you originally posted the same
question just a few hours ago, so it's probably not time for a repost
yet.

> I have looked at many docs but with no success.
> Thanks Yiannis

I have attempted to monitor the utilization of a link on a Cisco router
using the check_rrd shell script plugin written by Christian Lyra.
However, this didn't seem to work at the time, I think because I
couldn't get check_rrd to differentiate between Inbound and
Outbound bandwidth. So, I hacked at the plugin for a while, and then
something more important came along.

This has recently become a hot topic for me again, so I've begun looking
into it just this morning. It appears as though there is
another plugin available for checking RRD files, check_rrd_file. This
one is a perl script written by Estaban Manchado Velazquez. It can be
found in the contrib directory of the latest stable plugin release
(1.3.1) as well as the new 1.4.0 alpha plugins. I'm guessing that I
should be able to make one of these do what I need it to do, which is to
send an alert if inbound or outbound bandwidth crosses a certain
threshold.

If I'm successful, I'll post to the list. However, please keep in mind
that in order to use the check_rrd* method, you'll need to be monitoring
the link in question with MRTG (or something similar) and be dumping the
SNMP data to RRD files.
If there is a way to check link utilization other than with check_rrd*,
I'm not aware of it, although I would be interested in hearing about it
as well.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)