getting error "Return code of 127...Make sure the plugin you're trying to run actually exists."

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Tue Mar 2 16:08:54 CET 2004

On Monday, March 01, 2004 2:06 PM, Daniel Finn shared with us:

> Debian Woody testing/unstable 2.4.18-bf2.4
>
> Software was installed from source using nagios-1.2.tar.gz &
> nagios-plugins-1.3.1.tar.gz.  All settings were left to default for
> both installations.

[snip]

> from resource.cfg:
> $USER1$=/usr/local/nagios/libexec/
>
> from checkcommands.cfg:
> # 'check_smtp' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    check_smtp
>         command_line    $USER1$/check_smtp -H $HOSTADDRESS$
>         }
>

> and in my nagios.log file i'm getting the following:
>
> [1078171131] Warning: Return code of 127 for check of service 'DNS'
> on host 'medusa' was out of bounds. Make sure the plugin you're
> trying to run actually exists. [1078171131] HOST NOTIFICATION:
> dfinn;medusa;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;(No
> output!)
> [1078171071] HOST NOTIFICATION:
> dfinn;hercules;DOWN;host-notify-by-email;CRITICAL - Plugin timed out
> after 10 seconds
>
> as you can see here the plugins are installed and seem to work fine
> when run manually:
>
> wolverine:/usr/local/nagios/etc# /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_smtp
> -H 192.168.0.2
> SMTP OK - 0 second response time

That's great for check_smtp, but how about whatever command you have
defined for DNS on medusa, which is what's actually generating the
error? Check_dns has an external dependency on nslookup. It must be
installed and it must be exectuable by the nagios user.

--
Marc