NagMIN Release 2.1.0

Fred Reimers FReimers at infosysinc.com
Mon Mar 1 22:25:28 CET 2004

All,

There is a new release of NagMIN on SourceForge that contains all of the current code.

Please read the release notes carefully.  You may run into some perl modules or additional software that needs to be installed.  Future releases will have a dependency checker and software installer.

The major features added are:

1 - NagMIN FPING - Ping a lot of hosts and only send passive status changes to Nagios.  Eliminates almost all processor overhead caused by Nagios scheduling large numbers of subprocesses.  FPING also maintains RRD files with stats on each
host configured with a corresponding FPING service.  (Benchmark: 3456 hosts in 2.13 minutes)

2 - NagMIN SNMP - Similar to FPING but performing Net::SNMP gets.  (Benchmark: 1190 hosts in 9.5 minutes)

3 - NagMIN Web Portal - updates to the previous NagMIN side bar and Web portal including host group summary, host problem and service problem screens.   The screens process/display quickly.  The problem screens permit multiple acknowledgement from the main screen with check boxes.  Most NagMIN development is geared towards creating a new web interface for Nagios integrated with NagMIN functionality.  This is going to be in alpha/beta for a while.  Suggestions for improvement are welcomed.

4 - Nagios Mail Gateway - a Sendmail/Postfix email gateway for Nagios to accept passive service checks from equipment that send out email alerts.  (Next version will support Reply acknowledgement of Nagios notifications)

5 - Perl Modules - most NagMIN scripts are now written as perl modules.  Configuration is controlled from an expanded Modules Config section in the NagMIN WebMIN interface.

6 - Release 2.1.0 will soon be placed on CVS.  I'm started to get a handle on how to keep it updated easily given the environment that it's being developed in.

7 - Setup is simplified and improved.  It performs more error checking and I've taken another stab at dealing with those pesky command line problems.

8 - The Web Portal screens now use CGI to write a header line out.  I've switched to using Mozilla so the screens have been fixed to work better with Mozilla, Konqueror and Netscape as well as MSIE.  CGI will creep more into use in future releases.

I hope that nagmin-users is helping everyone with installing/configuring and using NagMIN.  I saw one email with someone complaining that there isn't much chatter around help with installation.  I'm doing my part.

The structure of the directories used in this release will probably remain that way for quite some time.  Any help with writing documentation to help with installation and updating on various platforms, would be greatly appreciated by your peers.  I've had offers to help test, but none to help with installation and documentation that have resulted in any deliverables.  Documentation can be added for every NagMIN screen in WebMIN.  The WebMIN interface is fairly stable at this point as well and could be documented by someone else.

Fred Reimers

This email and any files transmitted with it may contain confidential and/or proprietary information.  It is intended solely for the use of the individual or entity who is the intended recipient.  Unauthorized use of this information is prohibited.  If you have received this in error, please contact the sender by replying to this message and delete this material from any system it may be on.