Antwort: Re: Perf-Problem - Not more than 255 Childs?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jun 21 11:04:44 CEST 2004

Ben Clewett wrote:
> Nagios only needs to open *one* file for PerfParse to work.  This file
> is help open permanently.  (serviceperf.log)  The 256 limit per process
> is unlikely to be of any relevance.

If it could open a socket instead, wouldn't that increase performance
and usability by about a zillion times?
* Perfparse could have a single persistent connection to mysql.
* Changes would be visible instantly.
* Less filethrashing.
* No need for exotic filetruncing log-rotation with risks of data-loss.
* No need to set up cron-jobs.
* Nagios still wouldn't have to fork.
* In time, perfparse could well act as a statusdb engine for the nagios
GUI, making it always display the results of the last check (this
requires nagios to forward the entire output message along with relevant
host/service info though, but I hardly think that can be a serious
coding problem).

Just thinking out loud...

--[ snip ]---

--