Antwort: Re: Perf-Problem - Not more than 255 Childs?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Mon Jun 21 10:13:32 CEST 2004

h.baecker at ecofis.de wrote:
> I'm sorry, this is not the answer because the system doesn't swap heavily
> and the memory is ok too.
>
> But I think there are some Kernel limits to 255 Procesess...
>
> ###
> less /usr/src/linux/include/linux/limits.h
> [...]
> #define OPEN_MAX         256    /* # open files a process may have */
> [...]
> ###
>
> We will try to fix this in a few days...

Please, please, please don't hack the kernel. The limits in it are there
for a reason, and shouldn't be tampered with to fix broken applications.

If nagios could be set up to print its perfdata to a local socket (maybe
it already can?) then heavy performance issues with forking a
child-process to write perfdata for each check can be done away with.
This would also take care of the issues with data-loss.

If you're going to do some hacking, I suggest you start in Nagios, and
then email Ben (Clewett, the PerfParse guy) what changes you've done so
he can make adjustments for the improvements.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se