Unable to enable notifications

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Mon Jun 14 16:33:58 CEST 2004

nagios-users-admin at lists.sourceforge.net wrote:
> Nagios 1.2
> RH 7.3
> Apache 1.3.27
>
> I disabled service notifications via the CGI interface during a recent
> network issue.  Now that the networking is resolved, when I enable the
> notifications I see an entry in var/rw/nagios.cmd (the command_file),
> but after waiting beyond the command_check_interval the entry is still
> in the command_file and the CGI interface shows that the notifications
> is disabled.  In fact, its been more than 12 hrs now and its still
> not enabled.
>
> check_external_commands=1
> command_check_interval=1
> interval_length=60
> command_file=/home/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
>
> Any ideas where I should check next?
> Is there a config file I can manually tweak for the time being to get
> this re-enabled?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> greg_fenton.
>
> =====
> Greg Fenton
> greg_fenton at yahoo.com

Make sure that you don't have more than one copy of Nagios running. Stop
Nagios, and then use the 'ps' command to insure that there are not more
Nagios processes still going. If you find some, kill them all. Then
start Nagios and see if this fixes the error.

At one point I added a sleep command to the Nagios init script, in the
restart between start and stop. This fixed the issue for me. However,
someone else has recently rewritten the init script and now it will
actually wait for all of the Nagios processes to die and only then
restart the process. I've been using this since I saw it on the list a
few weeks ago. Search the archive and you should be able to locate it.
If multiple Nagios processes are causing this issue, the rewritten init
script will definitely help you out in the future.

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)