my nagios cfg and -s output

Neil neil-on-nagios at restricted.dyndns.org
Thu Jun 10 06:11:10 CEST 2004

Hey guys,

I need some help. I modified my nagios settings in such a way that checking
will be in an interval of every 15s. It works. But what I found out now is
that, sometimes, before a check can get scheduled, it takes longer now. The
reason I did the 15s interval is because of a ping check I created. I tell
nagios to connect an nrpe agent every 15seconds in windows which tells it to
execute ping. This means that I will have more data of response time for a
minute(really helps me with network issue isolation if there are any). Then
have the retrieved data sent to an rrd db file which I also use to create
line graph. :) Btw, there is another variable in services.cfg that I set so
that for other service check, I set the interval to 4 which becomes 1
minute.

Also, I have added the output of my -s so you can tell me if my nagios
system is not performing very well.

Below is the nagios.cfg and the output.

Thanks guys.

Neil

 ----------

log_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.log
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/checkcommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/misccommands.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contactgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/contacts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/dependencies.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/escalations.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hostgroups.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/hosts.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/services.cfg
cfg_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/timeperiods.cfg
resource_file=/usr/local/nagios/etc/resource.cfg
status_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.log
nagios_user=nagios
nagios_group=nagios
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=5s
command_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/rw/nagios.cmd
comment_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/comment.log
downtime_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/downtime.log
lock_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.lock
temp_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/nagios.tmp
log_rotation_method=d
log_archive_path=/usr/local/nagios/var/archives
use_syslog=0
log_notifications=1
log_service_retries=0
log_host_retries=0
#log_event_handlers=1
log_event_handlers=0
# log_initital_states previosly 0
#log_initial_states=0
log_initial_states=1
log_external_commands=1
log_passive_service_checks=1
inter_check_delay_method=s
service_interleave_factor=s
max_concurrent_checks=45
#service_reaper_frequency=20
service_reaper_frequency=15s
sleep_time=1
service_check_timeout=60
host_check_timeout=30
event_handler_timeout=30
notification_timeout=30
ocsp_timeout=5
perfdata_timeout=5
retain_state_information=1
state_retention_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/status.sav
#retention_update_interval=60
retention_update_interval=10
#use_retained_program_state=0
use_retained_program_state=1
interval_length=15
use_agressive_host_checking=0
execute_service_checks=1
accept_passive_service_checks=1
enable_notifications=1
enable_event_handlers=1
#process_performance_data=0
process_performance_data=1
obsess_over_services=0
#check_for_orphaned_services=0
check_for_orphaned_services=1
check_service_freshness=1
#freshness_check_interval=60
freshness_check_interval=300
#aggregate_status_updates=1
aggregate_status_updates=0
status_update_interval=15
enable_flap_detection=1
low_service_flap_threshold=5.0
high_service_flap_threshold=20.0
low_host_flap_threshold=5.0
high_host_flap_threshold=20.0
date_format=us
illegal_object_name_chars=`~!$%^&*|'"<>?,()=
illegal_macro_output_chars=`~$&|'"<>
admin_email=nagios
admin_pager=pagenagios

       SERVICE SCHEDULING INFORMATION
       -------------------------------
       Total services:             134
       Total hosts:                59

       Command check interval:     5 sec
       Check reaper interval:      15 sec

       Inter-check delay method:   SMART
       Average check interval:     107.910 sec
       Inter-check delay:          0.805 sec

       Interleave factor method:   SMART
       Average services per host:  2.271
       Service interleave factor:  3

       Initial service check scheduling info:
       First scheduled check:      1086838392 -> Wed Jun  9 20:33:12 2004
       Last scheduled check:       1086838499 -> Wed Jun  9 20:34:59 2004

       Rough guidelines for max_concurrent_checks value: