nrpe installation on clients

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jun 9 23:07:04 CEST 2004

Kerry Cox <mailto:kerry.cox at ksl.com> wrote:
> I am in the process of migrating to Nagios from off of Big Brother.
> However, I am finding setting up client processes to be a bit
> problematic. I finally got NRPE to work on a test box running
> Scientific Linux 3.0.1 (a great RHEL AS3 derivative BTW that beats
> the socks off Whitebox and Tao), after having read the FAQs and
> postings in the mailing list.
> Is it really necessary to install Nagios and the plugins as well as
> NRPE on the cleint/remote machine?

Only the NRPE client, it's config file and the specific plugins you
intend to use. NRPE really isn't that difficult to get going.

> regarding setting up the client. Again, I had to have the check_*
> scripts on the remote client for the Nagios host to see anything.

Nagios has to be able to run the plugin on the remote machine so you
must put plugins there that are specific to the OS and architecture. It
can't just push the plugin and have it execute on the remote machine
because a) that's very very insecure and b) it could be a completely
foreign architecture (try running an ELF compiled program on WinXP).
Once you've defined the basics of what you want to monitor on each
machine and how you want to monitor it, it's a trivial task to create a
tarball to put all the necessary files in the correct places, presuming
the architecure and OS are the same across the board.

--
Marc