nrpe installation on clients

Kerry Cox kerry.cox at ksl.com
Wed Jun 9 21:50:07 CEST 2004

I am in the process of migrating to Nagios from off of Big Brother.
However, I am finding setting up client processes to be a bit
problematic. I finally got NRPE to work on a test box running Scientific
Linux 3.0.1 (a great RHEL AS3 derivative BTW that beats the socks off
Whitebox and Tao), after having read the FAQs and postings in the
mailing list.
Is it really necessary to install Nagios and the plugins as well as NRPE
on the cleint/remote machine?
I could not get communications to work until I installed Nagios on the
remote machine, installed the plugins and then had all the check_*
scripts in /usr/local/nagios/libexec. I would hate to have to install
Nagios, the plugins and NRPE on every single client machine I wanted to
monitor.
According to the README included with NRPE, there was a lot of hoops to
jump through. Or did I simply miss something regarding setting up the
client. Again, I had to have the check_* scripts on the remote client
for the Nagios host to see anything.
I hate to compare apples to oranges, but with BB you simply ran a script
for the new client box, unpacked on the client and everything worked.
I'd love to see Nagios streamlined and not have to set up multiple
configuration entries for each and every service.
Thanks.
KJ