Question about perfdata

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Wed Jun 2 18:35:33 CEST 2004

Pedro,

I've compiled a short check-list to help users such as your self.  Some
of which might help you.  Of use to users using PerfParse to graph the
performance data:

1. You are using the latest Nagios, 1.2.

2. You are using the latest nagios plugins.  Only these produce
performance data.  You can check this by running one, like 'check_disk'.
  If you have performance data, this should reply:

DISK OK - free space: / 8089 MB (22%); /boot 35 MB (76%) |
/=8089MB;33312;35163;0;37014 /boot=34MB;40;42;0;45

You can see the performance data beyond the '|'.

3. You have compiled nagios with the option to produce performance data.
  Using the '--with-file-perfdata'.  Ie:

./configure --with-file-perfdata

4. Set the permissions on the servicelog file as:
     -rw-rw-r-- nagios nagios
ie:
$ chmod 664 serviceperf.log
$ chown nagios.nagios serviceperf.log

5. Check 'nagios.cfg', ensure you have these lines somewhere:

process_performance_data=1
xpdfile_host_perfdata_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/hostperf.log
xpdfile_host_perfdata_template=$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$OUTPUT$\t$PERFDATA$
xpdfile_service_perfdata_file=/usr/local/nagios/var/serviceperf.log
xpdfile_service_perfdata_template=$TIMET$\t$HOSTNAME$\t$SERVICEDESC$\t$OUTPUT$\t$PERFDATA$

6. In services.cfg, ensure this line is in all services you want to
monitor:  (Or the generic parent table.)

process_perf_data 1

7. In Nagios 'Process Info' page. At the bottom of the Process
Information box, ensure you have:

"Performance Data Being Processed?    Yes"

Regard, Ben