Multi-tier failover

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Fri Jul 30 20:57:11 CEST 2004

On Fri, 30 Jul 2004, Jason Martin wrote:

> Particularly I'm wondering how to handle the OCSP dynamically
> determining which central server is configured to handle the
> result.

I can think of three ways to handle this:

1.	Use a load-balancer between your Distributeds and Centrals
2.	Use DNS failover to switch between your Centrals.
3.	Always update both Centrals.

In scenario 1, you have a load-balancer set up a VIP to port 5667 on
Central 1, if it is up and listening, otherwise it points to Central 2.
Most load balancers have a concept of routing weight, you could set
Central 1 to a very high weight, and Central 2 to a weight of 1.

In scenario 2, you would configure OSCP to send its updates to a CNAME
maintained in your corporate DNS, i.e. central.yourcompany.com.  In normal
circumstanes, the CNAME would point to central1.yourcompany.com.  On a
Nagios failover, part of your event handler would be to update the
corporate DNS using BIND nsupdate or some home grown approach manipulating
the zone files directly.

Scenario 3 is a fallback, not really a good design but will work if you
can't manage 1 or 2 above.  In this scenario, you setup your oscp command
to send two send_nsca commands, one each to Central 1 and Central 2. I
guess it has the advantage of easier implementation as well.

Hope that helps.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com