Nagios Notifications - localhost.localdomain

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Wed Jul 28 04:29:00 CEST 2004

On Tue, 27 Jul 2004 nagios-list at panazone.net wrote:

> I was able to get Nagios 1.2 up and running on a Red Hat Linux 8.0 box without
> asking any questions, but I just can't figure this one out.  More than likely
> it is my lack of knowledge of sendmail, but hopefully someone can help out.

Definitely an MTA problem.  I'm no sendmail guru (I use postfix), but you
can look in misccommands.cfg to see exactly what commands are being
executed for your notifications.  As I recall, the command invokes
/bin/mail with a string generated from macros.  Try sending mail in that
fashion from the command line and see what the sender's domain is.

You probably just need to setup the hostname on your laptop, e.g.
"hostname laptop.yourcompany.com"  That ought to do it.  If you're lucky,
your DNS admin has set up your MX record to point to a relay-enabled
internal mail server that will just do the right thing with the mail once
it gets there.

Add that hostname to /etc/sysconfig/network and it will persist across
reboots.

Hope that helps.
Demetri Mouratis
dmourati at linfactory.com