Only first notification in escalation definition being used

Matthew Case mattcase at loanprotector.com
Tue Jul 27 19:10:04 CEST 2004

I am setting up notification escalations for downed hosts and they are not
working like they should.
I currently have service notification escalations setup and they are working
perfectly.
I know that my host is reading the escalation file each time I change it
because when testing, I change who is getting notified (i.e.. level1,
level2 ) and nagios properly reflects the changes.

The problem is that only the first notification in the definitions is being
sent out.

The host is not recovering so there is no reason for the next notifications
to not be sent.

define hostgroupescalation{
       hostgroup_name              production-servers
       first_notification               1
       last_notification               3
       contact_groups               level1
       notification_interval          1
       }

This definition states that level1 contact group should get 3 emails over 3
minutes but by looking at the notification logs for the host only the first
email is being sent.

define hostgroupescalation{
       hostgroup_name              production-servers
       first_notification               1
       last_notification               1
       contact_groups               level1
       notification_interval          1
       }

define hostgroupescalation{
       hostgroup_name            production-servers
       first_notification              2
       last_notification              2
       contact_groups              level2
       notification_interval         1
       }

Looking at the notification logs for the host only the first email is being
sent for these definitions as well.

Matt Case
MIS Director
Loan Protector