Does Not Recognize Contact

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jul 22 17:39:16 CEST 2004

Rhugga <mailto:nagios-user at sandiego420.com> wrote:
> Marc Powell wrote:
>
> > Rhugga <mailto:nagios-user at sandiego420.com> wrote:
> >

> > > Also, just curious, does anyone use nagios to monitor large
> > > enterprise environments? Just so many issues already just trying
> > > to get the thing compiled and a vanilla config working, just
> > > raises some red flags to me.
> > >

> > Yes, currently 1783 hosts (host checking disabled) and 2594
> > services of which the vast majority are routers monitored over a
> > WAN. 4 distributed nagios data collectors using NSCA to report back
> > to 2 central nagios hosts, 1 with postgres DB backend and 1 with
> > flat-file backend. After some minor tweaking I consider it the most
> > robust and flexible monitoring system I've ever used.
> >
> > --
> > Marc
> >

> Yea, my environment is about twice that large (less routers since we
> are mainly in 1 location) and I was trying to use opennms but it just
> couldn't handle the load. (it's Java so no confusion as to why it
> couldn't handle the load) Good to know that it can handle enterprise
> loads before I spend more cycles trying to get it to work. Also,
> router checks are much less overhead than the host-based checks, of
> which are the main composition of my intended use. (ie a router check
> may only be a simple ping where as each host I have might have 20
> service checks per)
>
> Just curious, what is the OS of your nagios systems and if Linux,
> what kernel and version of glibc? Also, do you have your ./configure
> used when you built nagios?

They're all Redhat 7.3 ---
Linux betelgeuse 2.4.20-20.7smp #1 SMP Mon Aug 18 14:46:14 EDT 2003 i686
unknown
gcc-2.96-112
-- With Flat Text File Backend
./configure --with-cgiurl=/cgi --with-htmurl=/

-- With Postgres Database Backend
./configure --with-cgiurl=/cgi --with-htmurl=/ --with-pgsql-xdata
--with-pgsql-lib=/usr/local/pgsql/lib
--with-pgsql-inc=/usr/local/pgsql/include --prefix=/usr/local/nagios-db
--disable-statusmap --disable-statuswrl

We've disabled all host checking because in our environment, we can have
over 50 devices down at any given time (especially during summer; we're
mostly monitoring routers at schools) and the increased latency caused
by host checks can be devastating during mass outages due to storms,
etc. I would also encourage you to _not_ use the old style configs. They
will not be supported at all in 2.0+ and the template style offers
significantly more flexibility and configuration shortcuts. You'll also
find that those pages that display all the hosts (status overview, etc)
are slow to load unless you've applied the chained hash patch. 2.0 fixes
that as well.

--
Marc