NSCA Connection problem

Chris Hemsley chris.hemsley at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 09:46:21 CEST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 20:55:06 +0200, me <me at wizkid.homeip.net> wrote:
> hi chris,
>
> i am missing the option -d "\" for defining the delimiter in your test
>
> Usage: send_nsca -H <host_address> [-p port] [-to to_sec] [-d delim] [-c
> config_file]
>
> try something like:
> echo "hostname;HTTP;0;just_testing" | send_nsca -H localhost -d ";" -c
> config_file
>
> greetings
> ruediger

Hi Ruediger and thanks for the response.

The -H seems to be for later versioms of NSCA as the usage for this version is:
Usage: send_nsca <host_address> [-p port] [-to to_sec] [-d delim] [-c
config_file]
but using
# echo "hostname;HTTP;0;just_testing" | send_nsca localhost -d ";" -c /tmp/ch
gives the following:
   Error: Service description is NULL!
   0 data packet(s) sent to host successfully.
which seems to indicate that the field separators are being ignored in
this version. My original example used tabs (\t) because I couldn't
get v2.1 of send_nsca to recognise any other delimiter. I would
upgrade to 2.3 but it needs a later version of glibc than SLES8
provides so I'm stuck with 2.1.