Config Errors, But Config Looks Fine

Rhugga nagios-user at sandiego420.com
Sun Jul 18 19:28:06 CEST 2004

When I check my config with 'nagios -v' I get these errors for each of
my config files:

write_to_logs_and_console() end
xoddefault_process_config_file() end
xoddefault_process_config_file() start
xoddefault_parse_input() start
        Value is NULL
write_to_logs_and_console() start
Error in object configuration file '/usr/local/nagios-1.2/etc/hosts.cfg'
- Line 14 (Could not parse input) I get this message for every config
file defined in nagios.cfg. Here are the content of one of my config files:

 $nagios_home/etc/hosts.cfg file:
# Generic host definition template
define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; The name of
this host template - referenced in other host definitions, used for
template recursion/resolution
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status
information across program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts

        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!
        }

define host{
        use                    generic-host
        host_name         file-0201
        alias                   File-0201
        address              10.250.200.46
        check_command           check-host-alive
        max_check_attempts      10
        notification_interval   120
        notification_period     24x7
        notification_options    d,u,r
        }

Line 14 is the very first non-comment line in the file just below "#
Generic host definition template"

Any ideas what I am doing wrong? I configured this build of nagios as
follows:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local/nagios-1.2 --with-nagios-user=nagios
--with-nagios-grp=nagios --with-init-dir=/etc/init.d
--with-lockfile=/var/lock/subsys/nagios --with-mysql-xdata
--with-mysql-lib=/usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql
--with-mysql-inc=/usr/local/mysql/include/mysql --with-gd-lib=/usr/lib
--with-gd-inc=/usr/include --with-cgiurl=/nagios-bin
--with-htmurl=/nagios --enable-DEBUG0 --enable-DEBUG1 --enable-DEBUG2
--enable-DEBUG3 --enable-DEBUG4 --enable-DEBUG5  --with-default-objects
--with-default-perfdata

By the way, I also can't get nagios to compile of Red Hat 9 unless I use
'--with-default-objects'.

Any ideas?
Thx,
Rhugga