Regular Expressions and NRPE

Jason Martin jhmartin at toger.us
Thu Jul 15 23:46:47 CEST 2004

Hello, I'm attempting to configure a NRPE-based
check that is passed a perl regular expression (check_log2.pl).
The problem I am encountering is that NRPE
prohibits shell metacharacters and so is
refusing to pass the pipe character (which is
embedded in the regular expression) to the
plugin. Since this plugin may be used several
different ways I'd rather not have to create a
special nrpe.cfg entry for each possible
regular expression; is there a better way to
pass this data to the plugin?

I was thinking I could modify the plugin to
accept base64 encoded RE's and then internally
decode them prior to passing to the macthing
operator, but if anyone can think of a more
elegant solution I'm all for it.

Thank you,
-Jason Martin
--