nagios usage/question...

Robert Nelson rnelson at windchannel.com
Thu Jul 15 17:54:00 CEST 2004

> > I think we're on the same page...the difference being that
> yours would
> > link me to a CGI script or something that would run the
> script; my idea
> > would run a script on the Nagios server, probably via the
> cmd file. I
> > would prefer this method because it would stay within the
> Nagios realm,
> > allowing Nagios to log who submitted the script as a
> command, at what
> > time, what the response was, etc.
> >

> Using the command-pipe is just plain dumb in this case, since
> the Nagios
> core logic doesn't need any knowledge what so ever of who did
> what and
> when, and adding logic for it in the core would mean more
> complex code
> and lead to more bugs. And besides, what's to say that the other page
> can't keep logs of things? PHP has excellent database
> support, as does
> perl and python, and anyone with their wits about them should
> be able to
> handle any form of sql from a shell-script.

The reason I want Nagios to log it is the same reason I want Nagios to
log the notifications it sends, who acknowledges a problem, who adds a
comment, and all the other per-account information it logs. As for not
having another program do it, I like it all in one place. I have enough
places to look for logs already without adding another one.

Rob Nelson
Network Engineer
Windchannel Communications
919-538-6326