Database stores and distributed monitoring

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jul 15 12:40:47 CEST 2004

Ben Clewett wrote:
> Andreas Ericsson wrote:
>
>> Skip MRTG in favour of cacti (http://raxnet.net), implement Ben
>> Clewetts perf-parse and the cactid poller daemon, and create
>> dataqueries that fetch data from the perfparse database.
>

> Thanks for the recommendation. :)

You're welcome.

> Cactid and PerfParse are different products.  All be it very similar.
>
> PerfParse http://perfparse.sourceforge.net/ is an addon for Nagios to
> display graphs, where as I think cactid is a stand-alone product. It may
> well be that cactid, since it uses a MySQL database, can use the
> PerfParse database for an alternate front end to the PerfParse repository.

Yes, that's why I recommended him to use both. Perfparse makes the data
nagios gathers easily accessible, and cacti (cactid is the poller
daemon) is every bit as flexible as Nagios so it can easily fetch those
results from the database.

> But I do not know much about cactid. :)  If somebody can confirm this
> for me, I would be extremely interested in knowing.
>
> If you want a single permanent repository of historical Nagios data from
> one or more Nagios servers, both raw plugin output and extracted
> performance data, and display graphs of performance data, then PerfParse
> will certainly do this.

Cacti does what mrtg does, but way better and the GUI is much nicer. It
keeps logs in RRD and can graph anything with a numerical value. It has
very nice built in support for a wide range of SNMP queries. Coupling it
with perfparse would be very nice indeed.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se