Database stores and distributed monitoring

Ben Clewett Ben at clewett.org.uk
Thu Jul 15 11:08:53 CEST 2004

Andreas Ericsson wrote:

> Skip MRTG in favour of cacti (http://raxnet.net), implement Ben Clewetts
> perf-parse and the cactid poller daemon, and create dataqueries that
> fetch data from the perfparse database.

Thanks for the recommendation. :)

Cactid and PerfParse are different products.  All be it very similar.

PerfParse http://perfparse.sourceforge.net/ is an addon for Nagios to
display graphs, where as I think cactid is a stand-alone product. It may
well be that cactid, since it uses a MySQL database, can use the
PerfParse database for an alternate front end to the PerfParse repository.

But I do not know much about cactid. :)  If somebody can confirm this
for me, I would be extremely interested in knowing.

If you want a single permanent repository of historical Nagios data from
one or more Nagios servers, both raw plugin output and extracted
performance data, and display graphs of performance data, then PerfParse
will certainly do this.

Ben Clewett.