nagios usage/question...

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Thu Jul 15 11:06:44 CEST 2004

Peter McAlpine wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 10:54:47AM -0400, Sean Dilda wrote:
> <snip>
>
>>>- ability to perform remote admin of some client apps
>>
>>Nagios has a nice event handler setup.  This allows you to run an
>>arbitrary script/program when a service/host changes state.  For
>>instance if it detects the webserver is down, you can have the event
>>handler run a script to try to start the webserver up again.
>>

> </snip>
>
> I'm currently setting this up for our 24/7/365.25 monitoring at my
> workplace...
>
> Is it possible to delay execution of an event handler until
> confirmation is received (via the cgi's) that we actually _want_ to
> execute said event handler? I don't like the idea of trusting nagios
> to auto start things without checking with the on-duty tech-support
> personell.
>
> -Peter

Sort of, yes. You could add a secondary web-page to fire off the scripts
and have the notes_url in the extended info point to that page. That way
you could add common actions to take even when nagios isn't noticing
anything wrong. If you use 2.0, there's also the action_url that you
could turn into a ssh:// or telnet:// link for hands-on management tasks.

--
Sourcerer / Andreas Ericsson
OP5 AB
andreas.ericsson at op5.se