nagios usage/question...

nemir nemiria nemir at mindless.com
Wed Jul 14 18:32:42 CEST 2004

Hiya Bruce..

I am still pretty new here, but have just set up a bunch of stuff and can answer some of your queries.

> i'm starting to evaluate various monitoring apps for a possible project.
> nagios appears to be overkill in some areas, deficient in others for my
> projected needs. i'm curious, how easy is it to add functionality (ie
> plugins) to the nagios infrastructure? in other words, is it possible/easy
> to create perl scripts that might communicate with a client script/app on a
> client machine, and suck the results into nagios for display.

It is fairly easy to write plugins.  There is a guideline available:

http://nagiosplug.sourceforge.net/developer-guidelines.html

They say that they are happy to recieve plugins in C, Perl, sh or python it seems.

by and large,  it is hard to respond to your initial needs without more detail,  but here is a stab.

> some of my initial needs are:
> - linux/apache monitoring server

Depending on the depth of monitoring this is already there.

check_http.

> - monitor linux client servers
> - monitor linux client apps

Depending on how you want to do this, it should be quite possible.

> - ability to add/remove monitoring scripts/functions
> - hopefully perl based

If you like.  ;-)

> - ability to detect status of client server/processes

check_procs maybe?

> - ability to derive status of inter-client communication

Depends on what sort of limitations you are setting for yourself.

You can run nagios check commands on remote hosts with various means.

>   (not just client-server, but client-client as well)
> - ability to perform remote admin of some client apps
> - some level of alert functionality

This is the point of the application.  I installed gnokii,  and wrote
a send_by_sms notification macro to send my team an sms whenever a
critical message occurs.

> - ability to add additional client monitoring scripts/functionality
> - user based permission strategy for conducting monitoring
>   functions. (ie allow certain users, to perform certain functions...)

You can assign permissions to certain users by assigning them to notification
groups for the hosts/services that you want to allow them to see/control.

You can also use the main configuration file to give extra rights to specified
accounts above and beyond those inherited as a contact.

regards,

Nemir