performance data too long -> truncated

Gebhardt Thomas gebhardt at hrz.uni-marburg.de
Wed Jul 14 11:04:20 CEST 2004

On Friday 09 July 2004 11:39, Gebhardt Thomas wrote:

Hi,

> I'm trying to collect a bunch of performance data on a remote
> host, sending it to the nagios server by nsca. I noticed that
> the data get's truncated when the message exceeds a certain
> length (about 256 bytes?). Don't know whether this is done
> by nsca or by the nagios server (it is not easy to sniff on the
> wire since nsca encrypts the data.) Before spending too much
> time on that, I'd like to figure out if this is a known issue
> with a documented workaround. Any hint?

MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH is defined by nagios to 352 and thus
limits the maximum plugin message (timestamp + return value + ...+
performance data). MAX_PLUGINOUTPUT_LENGTH  itself is limited
by the maximum pipe buffer size on the system.
 cf. http://article.gmane.org/gmane.network.nagios.devel/307

Cheers, Thomas