Unexpected check_period behavior

Tomas Morales nagios at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 00:28:33 CEST 2004

I have a very unexpected behavior for the check_period (or perhaps I'm
misinterpreting it) option on a service check. We have a need for NOT
showing red alerts on the nagios screen nor sending notifications off
for this service(Ping) outside the timeperiod defined and used.

My time period is defined to be between 1am to 12 noon:

define timeperiod{
    timeperiod_name  bl-100-2100-daily
   alias                     daily onlycheck 1am-12noon
   sunday                 01:00-12:00
   monday                01:00-12:00
   tuesday                01:00-12:00
   wednesday           01:00-12:00
   thursday               01:00-12:00
   friday                    01:00-12:00
   saturday               01:00-12:00
}

the service is defined as:

define service{
   host_name             host75
   name                     Ping
   service_description Ping
   use                        generic-unix-ping
   check_command    check_ping!500.0,50%|1000.0,80%
   check_period          bl-100-2100-daily
}

generic-unix-ping template has 24x7 timeperiod set for check_period,
but it's supposed to be overriden by defining check_period in the
service definition itself as shown above.

I have verified that checks still get performed and yet the "service
state information" says that the next check will be at 1:00am
tomorrow(July 9), AND that the last check was done OUTSIDE the
timeperiod defined (i.e. Last Check Time: 07-08-2004 15:46:08 )

Here is the entire service state information showing for the service:

Service State Information
Current Status:   OK
Status Information: PING OK - Packet loss = 0%, RTA = 0.22 ms
Current Attempt: 1/3
State Type: HARD
Last Check Type: ACTIVE
Last Check Time: 07-08-2004 15:46:08
Status Data Age: 0d 0h 4m 11s
Next Scheduled Active Check:   07-09-2004 01:00:00
Latency: < 1 second
Check Duration: 4 seconds
Last State Change: 07-08-2004 09:28:59
Current State Duration: 0d 6h 21m 20s
Last Service Notification: N/A
Current Notification Number: 0
Is This Service Flapping? N/A
Percent State Change: N/A
In Scheduled Downtime?   NO
Last Update: 07-08-2004 15:50:17

Did I miss anything or misinterpreted the documentation about how
check_period works? or is this a bug? did I make a mistake on my
configs?

Any explanations/help/insigths/enlightening/etc will be appreciated.

Tomas