Monitoring Dell stuff?

Alex Burger alex at fragit.net
Thu Jul 8 17:14:26 CEST 2004

How about configuring your Dell servers to send SNMP traps to your
management server, which could then feed the traps in to Nagios?

I have not done it with Dell, but on my Compaq serves I configured them
with the Insight Agents and have them send all alerts to my management
station running Net-SNMP.  Net-SNMP passes it on to SNMPTT (to translate
the traps into something readable) which then passes it on to Nagios for
alerting.

The Compaq agents (Linux, Windows etc) have over 300 different traps
from network link up/down, hard drive failures, power supply failures
etc.  Instead of polling for all the services, have the sever tell you
when something is wrong.  You can do the same with UPSs, SAN devices
etc.  You would still need Nagios to tell you if the server is up, and
could also poll to make sure the management agents are running.

The document 'Integrating_PowerEdge_Servers_into_HPSIM40.pdf' says there
are 36 traps in 10982.mib for motherboard alerts, and 80 traps in
arymgr.mib.  I found the document at:

http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/solutions/Integrating_PowerEdge_Servers_into_HPSIM40.pdf

Check out sections 3 and 7.

An example of an alert I could get from a Compaq server is:

"Compaq Drive Array Spare Drive on controller 3, bus 0, bay 3 status is
Failed."

Alex