Monitoring Dell stuff?

Karl DeBisschop karl at debisschop.net
Thu Jul 8 07:25:15 CEST 2004

Jonathan Nichols wrote:
> Greetings all..
>
>     Are any of you using Linux on the Dell PowerEdge boxes? If yes, what
> are you using to monitor the RAID status (if you're using RAID) -
> currently my method consists of checking /proc/megaraid/hba0/ and doing
> this:
>
> jnichols at mailgate hba0 $ sudo cat raiddrives-0-9
> Logical drive: 0:, state: optimal
> Span depth:  1, RAID level:  1, Stripe size: 64, Row size:  2
> Read Policy: Adaptive, Write Policy: Write back, Cache Policy: Direct IO
>
> jnichols at mailgate hba0 $
>
> That method sucks. I need to find something better. :) The Dell RAID
> monitoring tools are an absolute joke, and seem to be Red Hat specific
> (I don't use Red Hat..using Gentoo)
>
> Has anybody run into this?

I have the adaptec RAID systems (runnign RedHat). I use the afasnmp
driver from dell which feeds the PERC data into net-snmp. Just use
check_snmp from there. Solution has worked well for me. You may need to
unpack the RPM manually for gentoo, and yes source code would be a nice
thing, but is does work.

I googled a bit and found this for the megaraid cards:

   http://www.ibiblio.org/john/megaraid/

No matter which raid subsytems you have, I suggest looking here if you
have not already:

   http://linux.dell.com/storage.shtml

All in all, lack of code is a PITA, but if you can get around that the
SNMP solution works welll for me.

--
Karl