The Nagios: Reloaded (Rewriting Nagios)

Rui Miguel Seabra rms at sibs.pt
Wed Jul 7 16:28:16 CEST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-07 at 05:38 -0700, Jeff Rodriguez wrote:
> Controlled by one company? Perhaps I should point out that C# is an ECMA
> standard: http://msdn.microsoft.com/net/ecma/ C# is as controlled by one
> company as C is.
>
> As far as bugs go, it's harder to accidentally write bugs into your code
> with C# vs C. C# is a much more easily maintained language, tracking
> down bugs when they occur is much easier because of things like
> exceptions instead of good ol' segfaults.

Then by all means, if you think so much of it do write a monitoring
clone by yourself. I for one will never touch it. And not exactly
because of all the dubious licensing problems (some parts are ECMA, some
parts are patented, and we've not even started talking about submarine
patents yet... like those that hit GIF, JPEG, etc...)

It's overkill for an application that should be very small and simple.

> The nagios.cfg as an XML file would be just fine IMHO, there's not that
> much that you configure and you really hardly ever change it. Hosts.cfg
> and services, extinfo, etc should definitely be in a DB, which I've planned.

It would only increase in size by several orders of magnitude, without
real advantages other than relying on a library to parse.

Rui