The Nagios: Reloaded (Rewriting Nagios)

Aristedes Maniatis ari at ish.com.au
Wed Jul 7 04:55:58 CEST 2004

On 07/07/2004, at 11:50 AM, Jeff Rodriguez wrote:

>    * Rewrite in C# for all the reasons one would use a managed
>      language, Linux boxen will use Mono of course!

I am unclear how it helps to take a solid working tool written in an
open language and rewrite it in a language controlled by one company,
introduce a whole new set of bugs.

Wouldn't you be better directing your energy toward improving the
existing product?

>    * Use XML files for main configuration to ease the creation of
>      configuration tools.

Please no. XML files are a pain to edit by hand and configuration tools
are really unnecessary to edit a simple file like nagios.cfg. If you
mean files like hosts.cfg, then perhaps you should contribute toward
the work to get those back into an SQL database (as I understand that
SQL support has been dropped in version 2).

Ari Maniatis

ish group pty ltd
http://www.ish.com.au
7 Darghan St Glebe 2037 Australia
phone +61 2 9660 1400   fax +61 2 9660 7400
PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2  A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8