The Nagios: Reloaded (Rewriting Nagios)

Jeff Rodriguez nagios-users at gurugeek.com
Wed Jul 7 03:50:25 CEST 2004

I'm working on rewriting Nagios in C# and I'm looking for input as to
what people would like to see in Nagios if it was rewritten from the
ground up.

Features I intend to add:

    * Rewrite in C# for all the reasons one would use a managed
      language, Linux boxen will use Mono of course!
    * Design Nagios to be distributed from the get-go.
    * Use XML files for main configuration to ease the creation of
      configuration tools.
    * Use a SQLite database back end for object configuration
    * Use a SQLite database for user access configuration
    * Portability through C# and our friends at Mono
    * Create web services for getting the status of services and
      allowing services to report in.
    * Multi-threaded to simplify program code and speed the program up
      on multi-processor systems.
    * Integrate RRDtool for performance reporting without need for a
      plug in.
    * More well-defined reporting tools.

Now I'll end up writing this whether or not people help, and whether or
not it gets used because I'm going to use it myself. Obviously I want to
get mind share on this project and see what other features people would
like to see in this rewrite. I will also be releasing it under a new
name which I am working on getting domains and possibly a trademark for.

What are other's thoughts and suggestions?

Jeff