"max_check_attempts" being ignored?

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Fri Jul 2 19:09:32 CEST 2004

Jason Byrns writes:

> This sounds like it would cause an immediate notification every time.
> Almost all of our monitoring is simple ping tests, so having it ping for
> both service and host seems redundant to me.  Perhaps I should disable
> service checks completely for any host I'm just pinging?  And just rely on
> host checks for those?

As I recall (I may be wrong, but it's been too long a day for me to go
delving to double-check) host checks are not performed unless a service
check fails.  If there are no service checks then there can be no service
check failures and therefore no host checks are made.  Keep the service
check but change the host check for those hosts to check_dummy.

OTOH, if the machine is providing services then you really ought to
check them.  And if it's not running services but you need to ensure that
it is working correctly then checking disk space, memory usage, etc. would
be a good idea.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support