"max_check_attempts" being ignored?

Jason Byrns jason-sourceforge at microlnk.net
Fri Jul 2 18:21:00 CEST 2004

> We've been using Nagios for awhile, but it seems to ignore our
> "max_check_attempts" setting.  Why would it send out warnings after
> every host or service check failure?  Can anyone offer suggestions as to
> how I'd fix this?

I also notice mention of possibly related items in the Nagios docs.  It
seems to say any service check failure will cause an immediate host
check.  And if the host check also fails, the service is put into
immediate hard error status regardless of the max_check_attempts setting.

This sounds like it would cause an immediate notification every time.
Almost all of our monitoring is simple ping tests, so having it ping for
both service and host seems redundant to me.  Perhaps I should disable
service checks completely for any host I'm just pinging?  And just rely
on host checks for those?

Thanks again if anyone can offer input!

--
Jason Byrns