Host Check Question

Peter Hicks Peter.Hicks at POGGS.CO.UK
Sat Jan 31 23:42:36 CET 2004

Matt Pounsett wrote:

> Nagios only executes the host check if one or more services are down.
> If the host is providing services, then it must be up, so there's no
> need to tie up resources checking that.

There are some situations where checking a host is up or not might be
useful, e.g. when monitoring an infrastructure device's up/down status.

I have a load of service provider CPE to monitor, and I just care
whether they're up or down, not on whether they're providing a
monitorable service.  At the moment, I have a service called 'ping'
which will ping the device, but this then becomes confusing when the
host goes down - the 'ping' service returns CRITICAL, Nagios then checks
the host which returns CRITICAL, and I get two alerts.

FEATURE REQUEST: How about an option to check a host and if its up,
check its services?

Peter.