Just quick question

Jim Mozley jim.mozley at exponential-e.com
Thu Jan 29 18:41:08 CET 2004

thilanka wrote:

> when you go to install the plugins on a remote host, do you have to compile the
>
> plugins on the remote host or can you just copy the plugins from the Nagios
>
> host's '/usr/local/nagios/libexec/' on the remote host? The main reason why I
>
> am asking this is becuase if you have to download and install the necessary
>
> perl modules and other libraries, some machines might already be in production
>
> and any changes have to be carefully managed. In most cases the compiling of
>
> modules and libraries can have adverse effects on the OS. Just a thought.
>
> Hopefully this question is not a dumb one....I hope ....

I think this is correct...

For the C compiled plugins one can copy from the Nagios server if the
remote has the same OS/Version/Architecture e.g. RH9 to RH9 or Sun4u
Solaris 8 to Sun4u Solaris 8. It won't work if you copy the Solaris
binary to RH9 (or whatever its called today).

If its a perl module you will need the libraries on the remote host. You
could keep this up to date using CPAN (you can even take your own copy
of CPAN - I do this using rsync then my servers get it from my copy and
don't need internet access).

Jim