Incorrect Service Outages Listed.

Cook, Garry GWCOOK at mactec.com
Thu Jan 29 17:45:52 CET 2004

>> the way to make sure that doesn't happen again is to NOT use
>> /etc/init.d/nagios restart
>
> Yes, restart does seem to cause this problem.
>
>> I don't know that I've seen any other culprit.  Use the web interface
>> for restarting and it's fine, or do a full 'stop/start' with the init
>> script (making sure to check that nagios is 'gone' after stopping).
>
> I would agree that you have to wait for all the detached nagios
> processes to fade away after stopping (or terminate them with
> extreme prejudice using killall -9).  And this is probably the reason
> restart causes the problem - there is no wait for the
> detached processes
> to go away (and nothing about stop or restart gets rid of them, which
> it should).  However, I prefer stop/wait/restart to stop/wait/start
> because usually the only reason I want to stop and start
> Nagios is because
> I've changed the configs and restart does a check on the
> consistency of the
> configs and reports problems which start does not.

I edited my Nagios daemon and added a 'sleep 15s' command between the
'stop' and 'start' function calls. While I found that the web interface
restart worked perfectly every time, it was sometimes a hassle to have
to open a browser and login just to restart. A 15 second wait seemed to
do the trick for me, allowing all of the child processes to die off.
YMMV

Garry W. Cook, CCNA
Network Infrastructure Manager
MACTEC, Inc. - http://www.mactec.com/
303.308.6228 (Office) - 720.220.1862 (Mobile)