Incorrect Service Outages Listed.

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Thu Jan 29 01:04:51 CET 2004

jeff vier writes:

> the way to make sure that doesn't happen again is to NOT use
> /etc/init.d/nagios restart

Yes, restart does seem to cause this problem.

> I don't know that I've seen any other culprit.  Use the web interface
> for restarting and it's fine, or do a full 'stop/start' with the init
> script (making sure to check that nagios is 'gone' after stopping).

I would agree that you have to wait for all the detached nagios
processes to fade away after stopping (or terminate them with
extreme prejudice using killall -9).  And this is probably the reason
restart causes the problem - there is no wait for the detached processes
to go away (and nothing about stop or restart gets rid of them, which
it should).  However, I prefer stop/wait/restart to stop/wait/start
because usually the only reason I want to stop and start Nagios is because
I've changed the configs and restart does a check on the consistency of the
configs and reports problems which start does not.

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support