Status Map and 3-D Status Map

Paul L. Allen pla at softflare.com
Wed Jan 28 12:21:17 CET 2004

Frank Pikelner writes:

> It would be nice to be able to abstract the Status Map to a 3rd dimension
> such that say I could group a number of sites (site consisting of multiple
> LAN nodes) in a city into an icon called NYC.

You can almost do that by grouping hosts and selecting layers.  You can
almost do that with the "depth layers" layout method.  Neither of them
give you a "dependent nodes are down so I'll display this node as
having a problem".

While we're dreaming...

We provide monitoring services to a number of clients, each with their
own login.  With all the other CGIs, they are blissfully unaware of the
other people.  With the status map, although they only see their own
machines, the map is laid out as though all machines are present, so they
see the same cramped view that I do except only a handful of servers are
shown.  Somewhat worse, if some of the servers they can't see are down,
the background colour for the invisible machines changes from light green
to pink.

My feeling is that those with a restricted view should be given a status
map that is laid out as if theirs were the only servers being monitored.
Except I'd like to be able to specify hosts/routers that are displayed but
no health is given, so that anything of ours on the path to their machines
is displayed but they don't get to see what services it's running.

> Just a thought...

My guess is that it won't happen unless you or I code it...

--
Paul Allen
Softflare Support